Marin Educators for Equity
The Marin Educators for Equity Initiative is an alliance of Marin educational institutions and their leaders, the goal is to better serve Marin's student demographics and provide classrooms that are inclusive of multiple and multicultural perspectives. MEEI's vision for closing the racial achievement gap in Marin includes transforming education institutions into inclusive learning environments for educators of color to thrive. MEEI is developing a county wide teacher of color pipeline with credentialing supports for potential teachers of color to work in Marin as soon as possible. MEEI has invested in the grassroots community of Marin by providing several spaces for educators across the spectrum to dialogue and develop and implement strategies to improving educational and relational outcomes for all students and all educators in Marin through an educator of color pipeline, data, and dialogue. To embrace virtual community opportunities and to best support our teachers in this time of uncertainty and fear, we have moved our work to remote options. April events have refocused on immediate support through PD and/or tools for equity that can be implemented right away.
We truly value your participation in one or more of our MEE activities:
- Affinity Space for Marin educators of color working in Marin, to discuss current challenges and opportunities for change. (MEE is inclusive of all educators; administrators, teachers, para-professionals, early childhood educators, counselors, community based educators, outdoor educators, students or community members interested in becoming an educator etc.)
- Professional Development for all Marin educators who are committed to equity & excellence to learn tools to facilitate equity for all students. Sessions will be held remotely by Zoom
- Listening Campaign to anonymously capture your experiences as an educator in Marin:
- Annual Educators for Equity Forum for educators and institutional leaders to address strategies in retaining and recruiting educators of color in Marin County. The 2020 Equity Forum has been postponed to the Fall. (If you registered for April 25th, please join the PD on Zoom in its place)
The Marin Educators for Equity Initiative created these opportunities to support our growth as educators and the growth of a more diverse and inclusive education community in Marin.
We are in an emotional time when educators are navigating critical equity issues for ourselves, our students and our communities. We encourage you to participate in the
April 21st and April 25th PD opportunities.
Affinity Space for Educators of Color 2019-2020 School Year
Marin Educators for Equity builds community by learning the needs of current educators of color and documenting the successes and challenges of living and teaching in Marin. The goal of these sessions is to create an informed and collective strategy to recruit and retain more educators of color in Marin. Educators are able to:
- Connect and create community with other educators of color
- Share successes and challenges
- Gain support and recognition for your valuable work
- Partner with key educational institutions to make your voice heard and help shape education policy in Marin
Session #1 Wednesday November 6, 2019 (9:00 a.m. - 12 noon) Hosted by Tamalpais School District
Session #2 Wednesday November 13, 2019 (9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.) Hosted by Novato Unified School District
Session #3 Friday February 28, 2020 (12 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.) Hosted by Tamalpais School District
Session #4 Wednesday March 11, 2020 (9:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon) Hosted by Novato Unified School District
Weekly Online Calls for Educators of Color Tuesdays (7:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.)
For more information https://www.e3educate.org/marin-educators-for-equity
or contact MEE coordinator; Ilalo Kalika, email@example.com